Monday, April 7, 2008

Interview with a BETA

After what seemed like a LOT of effort, I finally successfully contacted someone involved with writing/editing fan fiction. I asked her some brief questions and here are her responses:
Sorry it's all in this one blog making it really long, I don't know how to make it smaller or whatever....
-What does a Beta do?
A beta is someone the corrects other authors work. I am a beta and what basically happens is an author send me their work, I go through it and make corrections, fix sentences etc, and make suggestions on how the work could improve.
-Do you write fan fiction?
I do, I actually have a story in que right now, so hopefully it will be approved.
-Do you feel like it is abused in any way?
Personally, I don't think so, I think it is a really great creative outlet for people. I mean, we all have our preferences so it is great that there is such a diverse group of people on sites like this.
-What can go wrong with fanfiction?
Well a lot of people try to write stories and submit them without getting a beta to look over it. That is a huge mistake! The site wont accept anything that has a lot of errors, and no body wants to read things like that anyway. Also if you don't have a good plot, your screwed. People are going to get through your story and hope that it gets better, but a lot of times, stories are very disappointing. Another problem is when people try to use characters that JK Rowling has already created, and they make them unbelievable in their story. I mean, would Gunny really get a sex change opperation? Or would Harry really marry Voldermort?
-Do you think fanfiction has any negative impact on the original publishing?
No I don't, I think it is a huge compliment to the original author that so many people love her stories enough to adapt them. I mean, fan fics are huge! How cool would it be to be an author and see how many people love your stories and characters to the point that they wont let them go?
-How about any positive?
Like I said in the previous question, I think it is a huge compliment to the author. It is also a great think because it gets more people reading, and allows people to write. There are very few outlets for creative writers, especially ones that want to elaborate on a story that has already been published. It also give people the chance to change the out come f things, and step into a whole new version of fantasy.
-Have you encountered copyright problems?
I have not. The trick is to put a disclaimer on every chapter of every story you do. Say something like you are just borrowing these characters to play with, and you are not making any money off of your work, and of course that no copyright infringement is intended. That usually helps. But also, don't plagiarize, that is one of the biggest and most moronic mistakes you can make.
-Do you think fanfiction adds or detracts from the original material? Both? Can you explain?
I really think it adds. I mean, it gives people a chance to see a story from every possible angle every imagined. That is really great. Also it makes people want to read the original work to see what has caused so many people to write about it.
-How do you think fanfiction differs from "regular" fiction?
Well first of all, when fan fics are written, they are an adaptation of an original work. Most original works are exactly that, original. And even fictions that take on aspects of other works don't have many of the same characters in the same world with the same lives.

What I find most interesting is her answers to whether fanfiction is positive/negative. Obviously somebody incredibly involved in the fanfiction world is not going to see any/much negative aspect of it, but I think she really brings up a good point. I think fanfiction is a sort of "ultimate compliment" to an author. Also, the fact that people are serious enough about fanfiction that they submit/spend ALOT of time editing their work makes it apparent that fanfiction is not merely a fun past-time for many. It is almost like a job.

No comments: